Moving during coronavirus isn’t impossible. In fact, more people moved between February and July last year than they did during the same period in 2019, according to data from the US Postal Service. More than 15.9 million people requested changes of address during those months in 2020, compared to less than 15.4 million in 2019.
So is it safe to move during the pandemic? Absolutely. Here are some tips to make moving during coronavirus safer.
Study Your Options When Moving during Coronavirus
You know what they say: If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. So do the research and plan where you’re moving and how you’ll get there.
- Supplies. With the number of people moving and shortages on certain goods, make sure you have all the moving supplies you need well in advance. You may need to find an alternate store or online seller if your favorite seller is out of bubble wrap, boxes, tape, etc.
- Storage facilities. Hours at businesses everywhere have changed. If you need to put items in storage or get stuff out, make sure you know when your facility of choice is open. You don’t want to be locked out on moving day.
- Moving companies. If you’re hiring a moving company, understand that everything has changed during the pandemic. It likely has new COVID procedures, requirements, and other safety precautions. Some companies, like U-Haul, now offer contact-free services.
- Landlords. Make sure you understand all new move-out and move-in procedures.
- Local regulations. If you’re moving to a new area, ensure you’re familiar with local COVID restrictions and requirements.
Do as Much Online as Possible
Like U-Haul’s contactless services, many businesses and apartment complexes now give people the option to conduct business virtually. Most moving companies are even giving quotes online.
If you’re still looking for a new apartment, you can hunt online, too. At Somerset Apartments, you can check out floor plans, search availability, and complete an application without leaving your current home.
Practice Good Hygiene
Whether you’re moving alone, having friends and family help, or hiring movers, it’s crucial to clean and have the right supplies. Here’s how to keep everyone as safe as possible:
- Sanitize high-touch surfaces.
- Have hand sanitizer available around your home.
- Provide paper towels and soap at every sink for handwashing.
- Don’t reuse moving boxes. Make sure you’re using new boxes.
- Keep windows and doors open so the air is circulating.
You can safely move during coronavirus as long as you prepare and take some precautions. Do your research, conduct as much business online as possible, and practice good hygiene to have a safe move. If you’re considering moving during coronavirus and still looking for a new place in the Montebello area, call us at (323) 689-5518. We offer contactless services, a virtual application process, and do everything we can to keep future and current residents safe.